Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Letting Out the Breath


 Last weekend we went decently last minute camping. I'm very thankful for that last minute decision, because it was a beautiful weekend. You know how sometimes you don't realize just how much you really did need a break, until you take one?


 Mackynzie and I went out last Thursday, and Cody came after work on Friday. We set up our little home away from home in the trailer and then we just relaxed.

 I didn't have time to edit any photos, so don't mind if my iphone shots are a little rough.







I haven't had beans and wieners since I was a kid. I wonder what Mackynzie's memorable camping food will be...









 It was so great to just pick up and leave. It left me with the time I needed to clear my head and jump back into things (In a more organized fashion.). We played and explored and laughed and slept hard. Cody and I spent our nights beside the fire, talking and joking and just soaking up being in love. No distractions. Just us. 

 The first day we were there, while laying with a napping Mackynzie, I thought: "This is so much nicer. Total simplicity. I kind of want to live here." And although I don't think I'd go live in the trailer, it really made me want to strive for simplicity again. I mean, we already sort of do, but we could do a lot better. I like working and making things from scratch, and reaping the benefits of my own work. 

 It's hard to do that now, while we are living here, but I think I can get a lot of prep work done over the summer. Make things so that our new place really feels like us, and to have a blue print of things to do when we get there. 

It hasn't been just us for a while now, and I don't think we realized how much we missed it. Life is much more relaxed with just us. I am so very thankful for our ability to work together and make a peaceful home. And also to realize that we really have nothing that needs to stress us when we are together. Cody and I seem to just ebb and flow. We fill in spaces for each other, and move together easily. This weekend really helped us remember that, for me at least, because living with other people can cause a lot of added stress. We were by ourselves and it was like a breathing out after not realizing you were holding your breath. 

 Staying with his family has been a blessing, but it's one of those blessings that requires sweat and hard work too. It's taught me a lot about myself, and about our marriage. I also think I will have a very different appreciation for our own house when this is over. It's really taught us though, that no matter what's stressing us out, or making us uncomfortable, we can be calm and steady together, and tune anything else out. We are a force. 

 There will definitely be more trips this summer, more little get away's here and there. 

                               
VIA (this was as far as I could trace it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment