Thursday, June 7, 2012

Sunscreen: Finding safe options and maybe a little something you didn't know




 Since the 'official' start of summer is just around the corner, I figured now would be a good time to talk about sun screen.

 We put sun screen on our children and on ourselves because too much sun can cause cancers and sun burns. Any will do, the higher the SPF the better. Slap it on, rub it in, and reapply every two hours or after becoming wet (although they have new 'one application' sun screens now.). That's what people know to be true, right? That's what we are told, that's what everyone does.

  Studies and new scientific findings, however are starting to make parents question their sun protection methods. For example, check out the EWG's article on 'the nine surprising truths of sun screen'. Companies are also changing their labels to 'broad spectrum protection' rather than spf ___, due to skin needing protection from both UVA and UVB rays. When I first started hearing about all this, I was really confused. What the heck would I use if the majority of brands on the shelves contained chemicals that could potentially give me and my baby an increased risk of skin cancer? Why would they sell something with dangerous ingredients that leach into your skin! I was left feeling a lot of mixed emotions on the subject. I talked with friends and family and soon discovered that hardly anyone even knew the dangers of sunscreen. With no one to give advice, I spent the winter reading, thinking, and devising a plan for when the snow melted and the sprinklers came on. I want to share with you the gist of some of the things I learned and what we have decided to use.

I should note that this is still a bit of a work in progress for me, but I am about to share a list with you that I assume will fix my dilemma. Also, if it isn't obvious, I am not a doctor or skin care professional. If you have concerns, you should speak with a dermatologist or trusted health care professional.

 If you haven't read the link posted above yet, I highly suggest you do. Its short, easy to read and to the point, but it can give you a better idea of what I mean by the chemicals. The first thing on my list for protecting our family was natural, simple ways for safe sun exposure. We all need short periods (approx 15 mins) of unprotected sun exposure several times per week, to maintain healthy levels of vitamin D. For times when we will be out for longer periods however, we wear hats, play in the shade when we can, and wear loose/light clothing such as cotton, linen, and hemp (there are many more options) that cover exposed skin.

 When it comes to sunscreen, there are still many options for safe sun protection. Organic brands tend to run fairly pricey for small amounts, which can be a problem for many families (like us!) who have a budget to stick to. The following is a great list that I trust enough to pass on to you. It has been composed by Job description mommy  using the EWG's skin deep cosmetics database.  please visit her web site for more information and details. 

8 safe sunscreens for children and mamas! that you can actually find in the store:

  1. Episencial Broad Spectrum Sunscreen, SPF 35, Rated a 2
  2. Badger Baby Sunscreen, Chamomile and Calendula, SPF 30+, Rated a 1
  3. California Baby No Fragrance Sunscreen Stick, Rated a 1
  4. Coppertone Water Babies Pure and Simple Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50, Rated a 2
  5. Burt's Bees Baby Bee Sunscreen Stick, SPF 30, Rated a 2
  6. Aveeno Baby Natural Protection MineralBlock Face Stick SPF 50+, rated a 2
  7. Earth's Best Chemical Free Organic Sunblock, SPF 30+, Rated a 2
  8. Alba Botanica Very Emollient, Kids Mineral Protection SPF 30, Rated a 2

Hopefully this makes someone's sun protection search a little bit easier than mine was! 

 Now let's all go soak up some sun!

2 comments:

  1. "Hopefully this makes someone's sun protection search a little bit easier than mine was!"

    It was thank you so much. We just finished our burt bees sunscreen and I was unsure if I should buy that one again or which one was a better option , and I remembered you posted this a few weeks ago ... : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome! I'm glad I could help :)

    ReplyDelete