Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My version of vegan 'yogurt'



 I was looking for a quick, light snack or breakfast for those mornings when Mackynzie or myself just don't feel like eating much. I wanted it to still be nutritious and I soon found myself dreaming of being able to eat yogurt. It was the perfect solution in my mind, but the whole dairy thing was an issue. Then I remembered my love for coconut milk, and the versatility of coconut 'whip cream'. And with that, I give you:


 Rainbow's vegan 'yogurt'

I make them in single containers, so they are one serving. You can tweak the recipe to suit your desired serving size.


  • 1 can full fat coconut milk
  • 1-2 tsp (actual teaspoons you eat with) Organic jam OR purred/mashed fruit
  • 1-2 tsp organic apple sauce (if you want some texture. skip if you're looking for completely smooth.)
  • 1 single-serving container with lid
shake your coconut milk really well. you want to incorporate the water and cream. skip this step if you want a thick, Greek-like yogurt. If you want it thick, do not mix can. open and scoop the 'cream' out and save the water for another purpose.
 Make sure your coconut milk is well whipped (by either shaking or whipping with fork. especially if you are seperating it from the water.)

Pour into container. Add 1 teaspoon of jam and 1 teaspoon of apple sauce and mix well. taste, and add more if desired.

pop lid on and leave in fridge for preferably one day.

Enjoy!

I love that this has the consistency and creaminess of real yogurt. Its also super versatile as you can literally put any sort of fruit you want into it.  Also, how easy is that?!

Coconut milk is packed with awesome nutrition, so sit back and enjoy eating/feeding your little knowing you aren't filling up on 'nothing'!


2 comments:

  1. http://www.turtlemountain.com/products
    http://test.turtlemountain.com/prod_user/prod_reviews/reviews.shtml


    Just thought id send this along to you, i'm not sure if you have that in Canada, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic! Thank you! I have not seen this brand in my town yet, but I will have to look around :)

    ReplyDelete