Thursday, January 24, 2013

Green breakfast/snack smoothie with avocado




Meal: Breakfast/Snack

Break down: (instructions) 1 avocado, 1-2 handfuls of spinach (steamed), 1 ripe banana, handful or two of ice, orange juice to cover half way up ingredients. Blend. If too thick, add more O.J and a splash of almond milk until desired thickness.

Info: This is something I make when I am not satisfied with my veggie intake (green veggies specifically.). Packed full of awesome nutrients and easy peasy. I add coconut water if I have it too.
Why steamed spinach? Almost all greens should be cooked before consumption or they can be quite harmful for your system and can inhibit iron absorption. I can post more info on this, or 'the healthy home economist' has a good post with a break down of info. 
 To make this easier, I wash and steam ALL my spinach when I buy it, blend it together, and spoon/pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze it. Once frozen, I place into baggy and add 1-3 cubes to my smoothies. (I usually add 2.)

No comments:

Post a Comment