Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Traditions


 Christmas really is a magical time. I wrap myself up in the warmth and happiness and I squeeze it tight. Something that I always love asking friends and family, is what traditions they grew up with. What made Christmas special to them? What will always stand out to them from their childhood? And what will/did they pass down to their own children? I really love to hear what they tell me. Partly because I am always open to incorporating new traditions into our family, and partly because I love to see their faces light up with the memories. To hear the silly things that they cherish most, despite them not really knowing why they hold it so dear.

 We have taken some traditions from our childhood, and also started new ones (and I can guarantee we will add more as Mackynzie gets older.). These are some of the things we do at Christmas time:

1. Christmas Eve PJ's

 Every year, we open one gift on Christmas eve. Eventually, like Cody and I, Mackynzie will know exactly what the gift will be, but it's still so exciting to get to open just one. It's always new jammies to wear to bed (and most of Christmas day!) and sometimes a pair of slippers or fuzzy socks to go along with them. Cody had never done this before, but it's something he really looks forward to every Christmas eve.

2. To Jamma's house we go!

Cody's family has made their own tradition, that came from busy and odd work schedules when Cody and his sister were kids. Every Christmas eve (evening), the whole family gathers at Jamma's house (Cody's grandma) and we have what's usually a non traditional dinner (last year was homemade Chinese food.) and then open gifts after. We open ALL the gifts to and from family members, but then gifts to and from Cody, Mackynzie and myself, are saved for Christmas morning. not one gets opened. Then on Christmas morning each family does their own thing, and we meet back up for a traditional turkey dinner in the afternoon.
 At first, it was really odd for me and definitely something to get used to! But I really enjoy it now. It divides up the stimulation of Christmas and makes the day much more calm.

3. Santa's cookies and a movie.

We watch the polar express every Christmas eve. I don't know why, but it always gets me really excited and super stoked for Christmas morning.
 We also have lots of fun baking Santa fresh Cookies.

4. Christmas Lights

It doesn't happen on the same day every year, but we always go  look at Christmas lights together. Right now, we go somewhere we can get out and walk around since Mackynzie can't really see out the windows from her carseat. This usually includes hot chocolates and fuzzy mittens.

5. Christmas Brunch

 Last year, we started hosting Christmas brunch. It was nice to have the family over for a bit in the late morning, and then break off again until dinner. We keep it simple, with cinnamon buns or something along those lines, and fruit and bacon and orange juice. I am really looking forward to it again this year!

 Traditions we are starting this year:

1. Reindeer Food

 we are making reindeer food this year! I have seen tons of cute variations, and I think Mackynzie will have so much fun doing this.

2. Visiting Santa

 Mackynzie was too young to understand anything about Santa Clause in previous years, but this year she has requested that we pay a visit to the man in red. If all goes well, we will see him every year.

3. Holiday Party

Okay, so this one isn't really starting this year. I am doing a minuscule version this year because of time crunch (I didn't really know about it before!), but I am going to start doing a north pole party for Mackynzie and her friends. If you haven't heard of them, seriously look it up. SO cute! This year we are only doing a small cookie decorating 'party', but it will still be really fun!

4. Tracking Santa

Mackynzie is old enough to understand the whole tracking Santa thing now. I am extremely excited about this one! How magical to know where he is!

What are your family's traditions? Are there some you always look back on from your childhood?


No comments:

Post a Comment