Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A version of princess and the pea you don't hear in fairy tales...



 You know all those 'firsts' you hear about? Specifically the ones you are supposed to experience at least once when you become a mom? Some of them are sort of goofy and you just put them on the back burner (or, like me, forget about them completely and then remember vaguely right after it happened.) Today was one of those firsts. I'm sure it won't be the last, but I am hoping we may get lucky and it will be...


 Mackynzie got a pea stuck up her nose. 

 I am not kidding when I say I completely forgot that children get objects stuck up their noses. In her defense (like she needs any since she is not even two.) she did not place it there herself. She is into this new 'thing' where she takes all her food off her plate/out of her bowl, puts it on the table/floor/couch, and eats it with her face- like a dog (Resulting in a pea finding it's way up there.). Today she chose to do this with the peas she was eating for lunch. I didn't notice the pea (and maybe wouldn't have) until I was nursing her afterwards and (bare with me) cleared a booger out for her. She usually says something like 'booger' or another relevant word after, but this time she said 

"pea." 

I assumed she had to pee , so after trying to clarify she said 

"No, pea."

And pointed to the table where she had eaten. As I was looking at the table and about to ask what she meant, she said

"Pea. My nose!"

I clued in, took a look and sure enough, saw a flash of bright green. I ended up only being slightly uncomfortable with the situation, because I didn't want to end up pinning her down while some random doctor fished it out. I tried getting her to blow, but she was very upset that there was a pea in her nose, so I was not allowed to touch it. I called my dad [in law] and he told me he had had a few experiences with similar situations in his years of fatherhood. He told me to try and get her to take a deep breath, hold one nostril and help her push the air out from her belly. I hung up and tried, but I was not getting anywhere near her nose. She was telling me how she did NOT want a pea up her nose. Finally, I made a game of it by demonstrating how to blow through your nose with your lips closed tightly. I made it funny by nose-blowing on the dog (hey, whatever works.). I did this twice and then did it on my finger to show her where the air was coming from. I seemed super excited too, so when I asked her if she wanted to try to blow on my finger, she gladly accepted. She gave a weak little blow, but it only took a giggle and some encouragement for her to take a deep breath and shoot the pea across the living room. When she saw it, she was relieved and still giggling from our game. I called my dad back and told him operation pea removal was a success. She chatted and giggled about how silly it was for the rest of the afternoon.  

Ah... firsts. Can we just do the fun and silly ones please?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the Red Carrot!!!! It's one of my favourite stores!!! :)

    ReplyDelete