Monday, September 2, 2013

Long Weekend Escape



 For the long weekend, we decided to head off on an impromptu camping trip.


   Mackynzie and I packed and shopped and readied on Friday, and as soon as Cody came home from work that evening, we were off. Three people, two dogs, and a bunch of camping gear surprisingly fit quite cozily in the mustang. We went to the same campground (neighboring sites) that Cody's parents had been camping at since Wednesday, so we were able to send all of the bigger camping gear (blankets, tent, toys, bikes etc) in the trailer and truck with them. It worked out perfectly.

 I have to say that one of my favorite things about Alberta, is that you can drive an hour in any direction and experience a completely different environment. We have the rocky mountains, flat plains, dessert valleys, snowy escapes, and rivers and lakes to explore.

 With only a short hour and a half drive, we entered a new world of forested mountains and beautiful country side, with farm houses tucked against the sides of massive hills. Cows roamed freely through meadowed fields, and we stopped for crossing cows both on the way there and back. We drove there at sun set and the views were just breathtaking.




 We spent our days doing a good mix of lazily playing and exploring around our site, and collecting things from the woods and discovering and climbing by the ankle-deep river. Cody even managed to master the smore (No more unmelted chocolate problems.)




 We had a great time, and my very favorite part was that we were completely cut off. We had no cell service, no technology, nothing. It was just us and togetherness. Exactly as it should be. I always benefit so much from these little get away's. My soul desperately needs them, and sometimes I don't realise it until we have slipped away and I've breathed in the fresh air and admired the silence. Cody and I spent our nights by the fire, talking about everything and anything until the stars were bright and the night turned crisp. We heaped together under piles of blankets and sleeping bags, arms and paws and legs and tails overlapping, sleeping soundly from our day filled with sunshine and walking. We woke with the sun, slept when tired, ate when hungry, and can count on one hand the number of times we looked at the clock.








 I knew I needed this trip. The last camping for us as a family of three. Strengthening the family bond that has been sent through the wash with living with in-laws. I needed to rid myself of the distractions completely, so that when we came home, I would keep it at a minimal. Able to easily notice when a second of boredom had me reaching for my phone, and move to a new task. I was stretched very thin and was feeling that maybe building a nice box house would be better for our last couple months of living here. This trip focused me. Cooled my rising anxiety. Calmed my frazzled brain. Mostly I needed this trip as a mother. I needed to step away from every outside influence, and focus on my instincts and my connection with my daughter. I felt myself slipping from the mother, wife, and parent I want to be -I am- and I hated every bit of it.

 I spent the weekend talking with my daughter. Snuggling by the fire. Enjoying what I know to be the trickling nursing sessions of self-weaning. Staring at her face. Telling her over and over how much I love her and how proud I am of her and all of the wonderful things that make her herself. I never want her to forget or question those things. I remembered to appreciate every ounce of motherhood; My soul would be missing its largest part without it. My sweet girl will be three in a few short weeks. I want to make sure I embrace and soak up her two's, and be excited for and make memorable her three's.


 I realised just how much the online world has effected my life. It leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. I made a promise to myself, Cody and Mackynzie (and this baby) that I would interact just long enough to enjoy everything I love about it, then go back to actually living and loving my life rather than being so busy documenting it. One weekend did not fix my poor habits, but it woke me up, and let me taste the free, simple, love-filled life I crave and strive for.

I am thankful.

Since we had no service, our phones got left in the car for most of the trip, and I brought my camera not realizing it was dead. We did manage to grab a few photos though. My favorites are the moments I captured in my head and heart though.


No comments:

Post a Comment